Tuesday 2 October 2012

ALPHABET SOUP - VISUAL THINKING

With my newfound appreciation and understanding of typographic forms I was assigned to manipulate exising letterforms that represented the word 'melt'.

For my set of letter forms I wanted to created a varied series, exploring different variations into the word 'melt' and it's meaning. I researched thoroughly into the word through the use of a dictionary and the different words where the inspiration and motivation for my designs.


For our brief we were given words out of the randomiser and my word was melt. Our specific guidelines were to create 10 - 10x10 individual styles using any chosen letter form. I decided to choose the letter 'W' as I like the structure and it would go with a lot of the idea's I had. The brief also mentioned to keep the task simple, easy to repeat and in monochrome colours.  



I wanted to think how I could visually create this and the obvious responses would be to use dripping elements or foods. I could incorporate these ideas with an edge and although I like these ideas I wanted to see how I  could go beyond this. So for my first bit of research I went online and looked up the definition of melt to find alternative meanings and phrases to expand my ideas.

melt  : source
v. melt·ed, melt·ing, melts
v.intr.
1. To be changed from a solid to a liquid state especially by the application of heat.
2. To dissolve: Sugar melts in water.
3. To disappear or vanish gradually as if by dissolving
4. To pass or merge imperceptibly into something else: Sea melted into sky along the horizon.
5. To become softened in feeling: Our hearts melted at the child's tears.
6. Obsolete To be overcome or crushed, as by grief, dismay, or fear.
v.tr.
1. To change (a solid) to a liquid state especially by the application of heat.
2. To dissolve: The tide melted our sand castle away.
3. To cause to disappear gradually; disperse.
4. To soften (someone's feelings); make gentle or tender.


melt  : source

1.to become liquefied by warmth or heat, as ice, snow, butter,or metal.
2.to become liquid; dissolve: Let the cough drop melt in yourmouth.
3.to pass, dwindle, or fade gradually (often followed by away): His fortune slowly melted away.
4.to pass, change, or blend gradually (often followed by into ):Night melted into day.
5.to become softened in feeling by pity, sympathy, love, orthe like: The tyrant's heart would not melt.
6.Obsolete . to be subdued or overwhelmed by sorrow, dismay,etc.

verb (used with object)
7.to reduce to a liquid state by warmth or heat; fuse: Firemelts ice.
8.to cause to pass away or fade.
9.to cause to pass, change, or blend gradually.
10.to soften in feeling, as a person or the heart.




Words that  stood out to me where : Fade, ice, heat, fuse, blend, soften in feeling, heart, heat, vanish, dissolve, love, sorrow.

With the words identified I then brain stormed ideas of what I could possibly do with my word and selected letter form. My initial ideas stemmed from 

  • Distorted typography
  • Crumbling typography
  • Dripping - paint, ice cream, water, liquid
  • Sequence of falling A's that would act in a melting motion
  • Smoke & flame typography
  • Left over ash
  • Burnt typography
  • Acetate with cut out droplets
  • Candle wax on fabric
  • Sewing
  • Black background and white markers
  • Trace digital typography
With some initial idea's I began to research different font's and typefaces for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment