Tuesday 19 August 2014

CONTEXT PRACTICAL: NEXUS ART CAFE GALLERY VISIT

Today I visited Nexus art cafe in the northern quarter, for a potential booking of the space. I spoke with Kat who is in charge of the space and invited me down to have a look around.

Nexus Art Cafe is a creative community space in the heart of the city centre striving to build community based on a Christian ethos of inclusion, respect and hospitality. Based on three corner stones of creativity, community and spirituality we operate a not-for-profit café and arts venue where we showcase the work of emerging creative practitioners, facilitate local grassroots organisations and work with our users towards sustainable community development projects.

The Nexus space is very bright, colourful and quirky with a lot of artists work and exhibition pieces surrounding the area.

















Space Information

You can hire Nexus to host a book launch, gig, workshop, performance or for anything you can think of from 7pm-11pm for just £20 per hour. They also include promotion of your event in the hire fee.

Kat expressed that there is no alcohol aloud in the event due to liscencing and all drinks / food has to be brought from the cafe bar. Nexus are open to changes of the space including the arrangement of seating and hanging artwork which will be beneficial for my exhibition. Music is also aloud at the venue which is really beneficial for the context of my work.

I was also given Kats direct number and email address for any further enquiries if I choose to use this space.

Overview

In regards to the space I really liked the layout and the creative vibe that it entailed, the space is again in a great location near to Manchester's city centre and is also surrounded by studios and art and design shops. The price of the venue is something I would have to also consider later on depending on how long I want the exhibition to run for as it is charged by the hour instead of a fixed price. Overall I really liked the space and I think there is a lot of potential in this space for my future work.

No comments:

Post a Comment