Sunday 27 January 2013

PUBLICATION DESIGN: RESEARCH

From our research we were assigned to create a publication, packaging or distribution using information graphics.

From my existing knowledge of the Illuminati I would have to create an engaging and informative way of portraying this. There are already books and information about the illuminati but are hard to access and are not visually interesting.



  

Knowing this from my further reading list on my blog, I wanted to research ways in which I could make a new innovative version for my target market of students and people interested about the subject. I wanted to create a middle market design that was interactive.


PUBLICATION DESIGN.
My initial idea was to create an illuminati book / leaflet in the shape of a pyramid to fit in with the societies logo. I began to research artists and designs to influence my ideas.






Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image


Pinned Image

Pinned Image


Pinned Image



After looking through an array of images I came across designer Karen Hanmer and her design of the Celestial Navigation book, this influenced the design of my book. The design is quite complex, however I think it would engage my target market.

 

EDITORIAL DESIGN: INFOGRAPHICS.
Knowing I wanted to create a publication, I then looked into editorial design to see how I could present my infographics. I specifically focused on modern and popular culture designs as it would work relevantly to the genre of my work and my design intentions.



Pinned Image

Alesproject_layout_by_alesfuck-d34zvm4_large

Pinned Image

Tumblr_lk7k7fxnii1qgpy5so1_500_large

Pinned Image

34c890ff4670c013badd575fbc95b5ab_large

Pinned Image
Source


I liked the examples I found as they gave a clean and polished aesthetic for me to surround my idea's on.

EMBLEM AND DESIGN IDEAS.
I Then began looking at modern versions of the illuminati emblem which is an eye inside of a pyramid. I researched the simplest interpretations to the over the top and bizarre, to see what could influence my design.

Pinned Image
Pinned Image
Pinned Image
I found some of the modern emblem designs were associated with the star nebula texture I liked how it conneted a sense of mystery which the illuminati society does and I wanted to incorporate this also into my design.



From my research on publication design in regards to displaying my infographics, I wanted to use a simplistic approach due to the breadth of information I found. I want to produce a book in the style of a condensed article focusing on the four main topics I explored in my research; the history, signs + symbolism, pop culture and conspiracy. It fulfils the brief by translating information clearly and would look aesthetically pleasing and contemporary for my target market.

Design wise I felt that using a star nebular design for the pyramid book design would work best compared to the current designs of the publications out there regarding the subject. 

No comments:

Post a Comment