Thursday 11 September 2014

CONTEXT PRACTICAL: EXHIBTION ADVICE

Due to me curating my own exhibition for the first time I decided to contact Eve, who graduated previously and had curated an exhibition in her final year. I decided to email her for some advice on how I could do mine and what I should include.

We exchanged some emails and below I created a few points from what she said on what I should keep in mind when creating mine.
  •  First of all don't do this all by yourself, it was a massive task.
  • You have to be organised, especially when you have to think about your COP3 during the run up to Christmas meaning late Dec and Jan is a right off.

  • Do it before christmas because the practical needs to be in with your dissertation. You could do early Jan but it would be a nightmare, especially if you are finishing off the final stages of your essay.

  • You need public liability if you are putting on an event - We got ours from AN. I think it was about £35 for the year however the website is real confusing (its even rebranded since we used it) have a read! 
  • When you are arranging dates - think about a back up date. We missed our first set of dates because there was no way we could get it all done in time.
  • Make a budget for materials. Try and keep costs down!
  • Advertise yourself through Tumblr, Twitter and Facebook


With these pointers in mind it has made me reflect on what I need to do in order for my exhibition to take place and be in on time with my other projects. With eve expressing that doing it on my own would be a massive task I think I should look into collaborating with someone in LCA or outside to ensure that everything that needs to be done is done.

I also think that I need to make an appointment with my tutors to discuss other possibilities just incase this idea isn't plausible.

No comments:

Post a Comment