Monday 17 February 2014

YCN OASIS: CRAFTING TYPOGRAPHY

From my last critique I was advised to try and propose some designs that were relevant to my research into my installation and crafting idea's. I decided to look further into crafting skills that could be applied to typography.

Embroided Type

Due to Oasis being a clothing store I thought it would be appropriate to look into hand sewn typography as it's relevant to clothing and would be interesting to experiment with. I decided to look into a collection of images as a source of inspiration as to what I could potentially do.















These designs have been crafted using a sewing machine and multicolour threads. This is something I could potentially collaborate on, with someone on the fashion courses as I haven't done anything like this before.

After looking at these designs I decided to research further in how I could do it by hand. I look and selection of tutorials and images as a guide of how I could do the design independently if I don't have the option to collaborate with someone else.



This design has been achieved by Hand embroidery and french cotton in paper, the design was created for an exhibition in Melbourne. I really like the use of bright colours that makes the type stand out off the page and only up into the detail shots can you tell it's all hand-crafted.



Maricor/Maricar Studio based in Syndey produced this beautiful hand embroidered type based on a quote from the film ‘Serinity’. Created entirely by hand using cotton thread on cotton fabric the bright and colourful original piece measures 42 x 42cm and was produced for last years Pick Me Up graphic arts festival at London’s Somerset House.



The design is created by a simple running stitch across the letters. Other elements of crafting such as illustration and possible laser cut had been introduced to give the design a more 3D look. In regards to the design it works really well and would be most relevant to the stock I would want to produce my designs on.



This design looks as though it has been created through a cross stitch and wool to create it's thick texture. This form of embroidery could potentially be an easier task to complete and would create impact in the photography.


Tutuorials


From the tutorials the most appealing stitches are caged, button hole and running stitches which are all done by hand. Looking at these tutorials has given me a direction in what I could potentially do in the crafting of my typography. 

Beading

After researching into embroided typography I then considered what else could be associated with a clothing company, which lead me to think about accessories. Beads and jewels are also relevant to a clothing store so I decided to research further into potential techniques and styles of doing this.


This was a poster design by Claudia Yuen, she created Custom typography hand glued with glass beads to complete her design. The design is quite elegant and feminine which fits in with the Oasis ethos.




This is a card by Brazilian designer Marina Chaccur. The designer individually glued each bead to a letter to create this intricate design. The mate stock and the shiny beads work really well together to create a really feminine look.

From my research I didn't find a lot of examples of beaded typography, I then started to research into other techniques and materials apart from gluing. 

I came across a technique of wiring where beads are applied to a bended wire to create words.



However I thought this technique would not only be a long process due to getting wire and the right tool kit. but I also felt it looked quite tacky. As a bigger scale like research in my previous posts it might look good. However I think if I was to go forward with this process I would stick to gluing the beads down to stock.


Quilling

I then researched into some paper craft techniques and came across quilling.  Quilling is an art form that involves the use of strips of paper that are rolled, shaped, and glued together to create decorative designs.

The paper is rolled, looped, curled, twisted and otherwise manipulated to create shapes which make up designs to decorate greetings cards, pictures, boxes, eggs, and to make models, jewellery, mobiles etc.

The most popular and versatile technique is that of rolling. The paper strip is rolled in fingers or using a tool. The coil is then released and then glued at the tip and then shaped. These shaped coils are arranged to form flowers, leaves, and various ornamental patterns.




Yulia Brodskaya is an artist and illustrator born in 1983 in Moscow - Russia. She is very recognized for her astonishing, elegant and detailed paper illustrations.



Quilling has a multitude of folding techniques that can be applied to a design and each of them are very intricate. I decided to research further into the techniques of this skill to see how it could be achieved.

Tutorials

Considering time, the tools and cost I think quilling is something I can experiment with at a later date.

After looking at techniques that I haven't researched into before, I decided to consider processes I have done before and how I could excute them with type.

Laser cut

Laser cutting is a process that uses a laser to cut materials. This process is created by directing the output of a high-power laser, by computer, at the material to be cut. The material then either cuts, burns or etches leaving a design with a high-quality surface finish.



There is a laser cutting facility in university and already using this process before can save me time and money rather than experimenting with a new process.


Foiling

Foil blocking is a dry process in which a metallic material or colour pigment is transferred from a continuous roll to the object being decorated. The application of controlled pressure and heat releases the colour from the carrier using metal dies and bonds with the chosen object permanently.




This is also another process I have done before and feel confident within doing, there are facilities at university that can accommodate to this process and would be an interesting type feature to obtain within my Oasis brief.

From my research I have found a multitude of crafting techniques that I haven't considered and now have the tools to know how to execute them. In order for my work to stand out for the competition, I propose to experiment with Foiling, Laser cut, Beading, and Embroided typography to create a collection of interesting outcomes for the competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment