Wednesday 26 February 2014

RESEARCH PUBLICATION: BINDING / FASTENINGS

From my critique today a lot of the comments were based around me researching further into binding and fastening techniques for my swatch book. I look at a selection of designs as a source of inspiration that I felt would work with my design idea.

1. Rubber band Binding 





The rubber band technique would work for my individual pages and a way of holding them all together. I like how you have make the shape of the rubber band completely unique depending on the way you cut it or where it can be placed.


2. Coptic Binding



The coptic biding technique is a good way for all the different colours of the book can bee seen through the opening of this bind. However researching into the binding technique, it only works with double page spreads and with my word being single pages this style wouldn't work. 



3. Ring Binding


The ring bind is a good technique for my publication, as I could attach the book to a lanyard and could be an interactive piece also. However I think the rings would be too big for my proposed packaging idea's and would fit the aesthetic.

4. Iron Bindning




The Iron binding technique is another good way in which design work can be held together. It makes the work look professional and seamless. I also like the first image were a multitude of formats can work within this bind and will be something I consider.


5. Screw & Post Binding



The screw and post binding technique is another method that could be considered for my work. I think the post creates and interesting feature within the design work and makes it look like a advertisement.

6. Rivet Binding


The rivet bind is an open screw bind, which can also allow things to be threaded through the hole within the design. I like the way in which it opens out into a swatch and allows the pages to be interacted with.


7. Screw binding



From all the binding techniques I felt like the screw bind would work best for my design, as it allows the pages to be secured and works with the format (A6) that I would want to work with. This binding technique will also allow me to experiment with different stocks and move around pages if I felt there were not in the correct place after printing.




With this in mind I decided to go Fred Adlous in Manchester to look at the different biding screws they had to offer. The range of screws started from 50 - 10mm. 




Considering that my publication was only 16 pages long I decide to get the 10mm binding screws costing £2.66.  I chose the metal screws as I felt they would be more durable with the range of stocks I propose to use. In my practice blog I will experiment with the outcomes of this binding method to see if they are more appropriate than my previous idea of using a push pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment