Monday 11 February 2013

DESIGN IS ABOUT DOING



Secret 7’’ are inviting creatives from around the globe to take inspiration from Jessie Ware's track, Still Love Me and design an original 7 inch vinyl sleeve.

Between 30-50 winners will be selected. One copy of each design will be produced and exhibited in East London for over a week in April.

The project culminates on Record Store Day when the 700 one-of-a-kind vinyl will be available to purchase, with all of the profits going to the charity Art Against Knives.

None of the buyers will know who created the sleeve, or even which song it's for, until they are holding it in their hands - the secret lies within.

Previous entries







DJ Shadow come on riding

For the challenge I chose Jessie Ware as I like the artist and the song. I began to look at Previous album covers to gain a sense of the artist's style. The company responsible for most her album art work is Studio Moross. The studio is set up by graphic artist and art director Kate Moross.

I also researched the artist's background and other music video's to look at her characteristics and style.

Artist Info-

Music Videos -
Lyrics-

Themes I interpreted within the song-

  • Repetition of "Do you still love me?" in harmonic variations
  • Electronic
  • Soulful
  • Ambient
  • Psycadellic
  • Unorthodox
  • Confusion about their love and feelings 
  • Lost
  • Repetitive
  • Head spinning
  • Soft
  • Light
  • Helpless
  • Heartbreak
Jessie Ware is a clean cut, classic artist with touches of vintage, elegance and glamour. Kate Morross interprets the artist's style through simplistic colours and minimalistic touches. This alongside the meaning behind the song lead me to research these idea's.

Idea's inspiration -

I looked at some record design sleeves based around the geometric designs to see what had already been done and what could influence my designs. I firstly looked at retro vinyl covers due to the artists vintage style. 




Old Record Sleeves
Pinned ImagePinned Image

Source: Pinterest

I began to focus on circle based designs as I felt that they created really interesting spiral shapes that would fit in with the repetition of the song.

beautiful old 45 record sleeve - great paletterecord sleeve
Pinned ImagePinned Image

Reflecting back on some of themes within the song there was features of ambience and fludity. I decided to look at one of my favourite designer's work who played upon these features and see how they could influence my design.





Source: Stina Persson




I liked the technique she used with the ink and researched other methods relating to this technique and discovered Rorschach inkblot test. This a psychological test which examines a person's personality characteristics and emotional functioning. I felt this style would contextually fit in with the song as the  artist's emotions were expressed in a unique way through the repetition of the song.


I looked at a breadth of material from photography to art work to see how different people approached the Rorschach test. 


Artist Cara Baker used this technique with telephone books.

Pinned Image
Source: Flavorwire

Artist's Yulia Gorbachenko and Anastasia Durasova have used this method through photography and make up.

Rorschach TestRORSCHACH TEST by Yulia Gorbachenko, via BehanceRORSCHACH TEST by Yulia Gorbachenko, via Behance
Source: Behance

Artist Jason Kriegs uses watercolours and acrylic to create his designs and touches them up on Photoshop.

S2 - Inkblot 04

Source: Kriegs

I really liked how Jason used ink as it made the work look more fluid so I looked further at these patterns.


Pinned Image
Rorschach Test as Art



Grymt Rorschach test (Vad ser du?)

Reflecting back onto the previous Jessie Ware album cover's, a lot of the designs focused on close up shots of her features.  I began to explore different album covers that focused on this using photography that retained a vintage flair.





Pinned Image
Source

A lot of the images used have a grainy texture or a pop art flare, these will be effects to consider if I want to use photography for a potential vinyl.

RESEARCH SUMMARY
  • Focus on a variation of techniques that represent a vintage style
  • Photography, digital and handmade outcomes
  • Reffrain from using the artists name
  • Experiment with the rorsach ink blot style

No comments:

Post a Comment